Emerson said, “The world exists for the education of each man.”

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Firsts - Tofino


Tofino is definitely where I first caught the travel ladybug.  If you want to experience nature at its finest, this is the place. 
http://www.tofino-bc.com/

What made this trip so amazing is that it was what I like to call, my trip of firsts. 
First time I vacationed somewhere solo,
First time I stayed in a hostel instead of a hotel,
First time I tried surfing,
First time I just hung out with complete strangers.  


The amazing hostel I stayed at is called Whalers on the Point Guesthouse.  Trip Advisor - Whalers on the Point Guest House  This place does not resemble anything remotely associated with a hostel.  It’s incredibly clean, located on the waterfront and it’s filled with cool and friendly people from everywhere. And no creepos.
Why travelling solo is so great:
You can do exactly what you want, when you want, how you want. You don’t have to compromise because of a travel partner!  It feels incredibly liberating to be able to do this.

For those of you who are more comfortable with people and tend to feel lonely when by themselves, my advice to you is to simply embrace the solitude.  Bring a book or music with you to ease you into feeling comfortable.  Let your mind wander, observe people and sights in front of you, listen to the sounds and simply Be. 

How I made this trip exciting for myself was by setting goals, such as take surfing lessons, go hiking for the day, be open and meet new people, try eating a new kind of fish.. those kinds of goals.  Nothing major, just small challenges to focus on achieving.

In the end, I met a great Parisian friend who I keep in touch with to this day, I felt the exhilaration of surfing in the COLD Pacific waters, I experienced the peacefulness of kayaking with whales, I hugged a 1,500 year old tree, and most importantly, I discovered my newfound love – and need, for solo travel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment