Emerson said, “The world exists for the education of each man.”

Friday, April 15, 2011

Reflections from 3210 metres - Poon Hill

Recap of my journey to Poon Hill, Annapurna Region, Himalaya mountains, Nepal:

  • Wake up at 4:30am to begin the 1 1/2 hour trek to Poon Hill, to arrive in time for sunrise.
  • Was sick the night before... most likely something I ate or drank yesterday.
  • Feeling nauseous and weak, but must get to Poon Hill - this is supposed to be the highlight of the trek!
  • It's cold and pitch black outside as we begin the 500 metre climb up the mountain.
  • I struggle to find the energy to keep going.  
  • As we get closer to the top, other trekkers start to appear.  We're all heading to the same place.  Quietly we all continue the ascent.
  • The sun is starting to peek and light up the sky.
  • Just before 6:30am, we arrive at Poon Hill.  Many trekkers exchange smiles and handshakes, congratulating each other for making it to the top.
 
  1. I've overexerted my body now. I struggle to not get sick and instead focus on the incredible sunrise that is happening before my eyes.
  2. Suddenly, all the trekkers grow silent as the incredible show begins.
  3. The sun lights up the mountains, illuminating the sky and that's when I thought...
  4. Compared to nature, I feel so insignificant and tiny right now. 
  5. I am nothing but a single being on this planet. 
  6. Where am I and how did I get here again?
  7. This is incredible.  I'm 10,000 feet in this sky.
  8. I'm forgetting how sick I feel.
  9. I am so incredibly lucky to be able to experience this.
  10. The awe and wonder I'm feeling is overwhelming.
  11. Do I actually feel tears coming on??
  12. Wow... this is unbelievable.
  13.  

No comments:

Post a Comment