Emerson said, “The world exists for the education of each man.”

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Our Anti-Social Society - Part 2

I live in a condominium building, so my daily routine consists of taking the elevator up and down as I'm coming and going.

I got in the elevator today, in the company of 3 other people.  

As usual, we all had our heads down and didn't so much as look at each other. 

On the way down, the elevator stopped at the 6th floor and in came a young woman with a big smile. 

She then did something completely erratic and strange... she said "GOOD MORNING!"

We all looked up, completely startled and awkwardly mumbled, "good morning" in return.

***

How embarrassing... I've become one of "them!"

When I first moved into the building 3 years ago, I was that young woman who said, "hello" and "good morning" to neighbours in the elevator.  Over time, I stopped that practice and have become remote, just like the rest of them.

How did we become so anti-social? 

So I issue a challenge to anyone who reads this blog post.  Tomorrow, try to utter a greeting to people you cross paths with.  And smile.  I believe these small steps will go a long way to making this world a more friendly - and less anti-social place.

No comments:

Post a Comment