Emerson said, “The world exists for the education of each man.”

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lost in Translation - Day One in Paris


In October, I decided to visit my friend Elise in Paris.  Prior to leaving for my tres chic Parisian holiday, friends and colleagues had told me how great and easy the Paris Metro system is. 

The plan was to arrive at Charles De Gaulle Airport and then take the Metro train into Paris and to Elise’s apartment. Elise lives in Montmatre, a charming and beautiful town located just 15 minutes outside of the centre of Paris.  Montmatre Reviews
I didn’t bother to brush up on my French language skills or study Paris maps because I'm sure I'll be able to wing it and get by – and I’m sure many people in Paris speak English, right?   Wrong! 
For those of you planning a solo trip to Paris, don’t make the same mistake.  It took me almost an hour to simply find the entrance to the Metro from the airport!  Then when I finally arrived at Chatalet station in the heart of Paris, I found myself overwhelmed and lost. 

Even with Elise’s written directions, I had no idea where I was going.  People were rushing through the train station and no one had any interest in stopping to give directions to a Canadian woman with poor French-speaking skills.
In hindsight, I can’t believe that I was arrogant enough to think that I would travel to a French-speaking country and that they would accommodate me!
Tip:  When travelling to a country that speaks another language than your own, try to learn some key words. Make an effort to speak the language as best as you can. The people you meet and speak with will definitely appreciate your efforts.
The good news is that it became easier to communicate with each day, as I immersed myself in the culture and with people. 
Oh, and I should mention that the Paris Metro system is in fact a great transit. In a short time, it can get you anywhere in Paris and surrounding areas.  It's easy to use, if you take the time to study and understand the transit map.  Bon voyage!   Paris Metro Map



No comments:

Post a Comment